How to Get a US Tourist Visa
If you want to visit the United States, you need a visa that gives you permission to enter the country. Visa requirements vary depending on your citizenship and the purpose of your travel. Before you schedule your vacation, learn about the requirements for a visitor visa.
All foreign nationals who want tourist visas must complete Form DS-160, also called the nonimmigrant visa application. You can complete this form online. After filling out the application, you upload a photograph of yourself. Then print the confirmation page to bring to the visa interview. If you’re requesting a tourist visa for more than one person in your family, each individual must complete an application.
Schedule an Interview
Applicants between the ages of 14 and 79 must go through an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in the countries where they live. Before the interview, you need to pay the non-refundable visa application fee. At the interview, you provide digital fingerprints.
You also need to provide supporting documents for the visa. These include the confirmation page that you printed when you submitted the application. You also have to bring the printed copy of the photo you uploaded. The embassy will also ask to see that your passport is valid for at least six months after your planned visit to the U.S. In some cases, you need to provide proof of the purpose of your trip, ties to your home country and your ability to cover your expenses while in the U.S.
Entering the U.S.
Having a visa does not guarantee entry into the U.S. When you arrive at the port of entry, the Customs and Border Patrol officer makes the decision whether to let you enter. If you get approval, the officer stamps your entry date in your passport, along with a stamp that shows the date you must leave.
You should leave the country before this date. Failing to do so can lead to denials on future visa and immigration applications. If you stay in the country after the date stamped in your passport, you are out of status. It may be possible to extend your stay.
Travel Without a Visa
Citizens of certain countries can enter the United States without a visa. This includes citizens of Canada, Bermuda, the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands.
However, this still does not guarantee entry to the U.S. Border patrol officials can deny entry to anyone who has previously violated immigration laws or has a criminal history.
Visa Waiver Program
Another option for entering the U.S. is the Visa Waiver Program. This lets citizens from designated countries visit for business consultations, conferences and conventions, vacations, short-term training, medical treatment and visiting with family and friends. The U.S. Department of State maintains a list of designated countries on its website.
If you are a citizen of a designated country, you must have a valid travel authorization through ESTA. You also need an e-passport. This enhanced security passport has an embedded electronic chip in the front cover.
- Terms of Service
- © 2023 Ask Media Group, LLC
- Group insurance through your employer or an association through your employer or an association
- Group retirement savings (RRSP, DCPP, DPSP, etc.) through your employer or an association (RRSP, DCPP, DPSP, etc.) through your employer or an association
- Individual insurance purchased online, by phone or in person purchased online, by phone or in person
Go to your section to log on
- Group insurance
- Group retirement savings
- Secure information exchange
- Webi - Independent representatives
- Secure information exchange
- Qc Ab Bc Pe Mb Nb Ns Nu On Sk Nl Nt Yt
- Individual insurance
- Travel insurance
Are you between 18 and 30 and heading off to see the world? We’ve got some great discounts for you!
3-day discount, 50% off emergency return trip premium, desjardins discount, great for students, extended stays – perfect for studying abroad.
Covers trips of 31 days or more
Get a quote External link. Opens in a new window.
Multi-trip annual insurance – a must for anyone who travels more than once a year
It covers an unlimited number of trips for one year so you don’t have to buy a new contract for each trip.
Visitors to Canada Insurance – Do you have a Canadian student visa?
Visitors to Canada Insurance gives you access to a wide range of assistance services for as long as your coverage remains in force.
Get a quote
1-877-938-8940 This link will launch your default phone software.
In case of emergency
- Travel Assistance Service
- Submit a claim online Opens in a new window.
- Make changes to your contract
- Update your address
- Enjoy a stress-free trip
- Travel checklist
- What does your Trip Cancellation Insurance cover?
- Will I have to pay the hospital bill if I'm hospitalized while I'm away?
- Does my provincial health insurance plan provide sufficient coverage everywhere in the world?
- See all questions
If you bought your insurance online, refer to the following documents:
- Travel Insurance Policy (PDF, 403 KB) Opens in a new window.
- Multi-Trip Annual Insurance Policy (PDF, 418 KB) Opens in a new window.
For The Personal:
- Travel Insurance Policy (PDF, 374 KB) Opens in a new window.
- Multi-Trip Annual Insurance Policy (PDF, 382 KB) Opens in a new window.
If you bought your insurance over the phone, refer to the following documents:
- Travel Insurance documents (PDF, 667 KB) Opens in a new window.
- Multi-Trip Annual Insurance documents (PDF, 680 KB) Opens in a new window.
- Travel Insurance documents (PDF, 611 KB) Opens in a new window.
- Multi-Trip Annual Insurance documents (PDF, 619 KB) Opens in a new window.
- Desjardins Odyssey Gold Visa, Travel Gold and Odyssey World Elite Mastercard Travel Insurance Policy (PDF, 320 KB) Opens in a new window.
- Desjardins Odyssey Visa Infinite Privileve Travel Insurance Policy (PDF, 255 KB) Opens in a new window.
- Desjardins Prestige Platinum Visa Travel Insurance Policy (PDF, 469 KB) Opens in a new window.
- Desjardins Platinum Visa Travel Insurance Policy (PDF, 383 KB) Opens in a new window.
Desjardins Odyssey ® Gold Visa Card
- Premium Insurance
- Get up to 2% BONUSDOLLARS on your purchases
- Get 2% of your restaurant purchases
- Get 2% of your entertainment purchases
- Get 2% of your transit purchases
- Get 2% of your purchases direct debited
- Get 1% on all your other purchases
Fees & Conditions
Per dollar of purchases
There may be a daily maximum amount depending on the type of fees paid
The Desjardins Odyssey Gold Visa card is a credit card that offers BONUSDOLLARS.
With this card you can get:
- 2% in BONUSDOLLARS for your restaurant, entertainment, public transportation and direct debit purchases
- 1% in BONUSDOLLARS on your other purchases
In addition, this card offers several insurances for your purchases:
- 90 days purchase insurance
- One year extended warranty
- Mobile Device Insurance
As well as comprehensive travel insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the odyssey gold visa card offer cash back.
The Desjardins Odyssey Gold Visa Card is part of the Desjardins Bonidollars program, which offers cash back or travel rewards.
- No minimum income required
- Purchase Insurance
- Accepted at Costco
- Card Details
- Earn up to 2 points per dollar spent on certain purchase categories*.
- Reassuring protection. Travel with peace of mind thanks to our comprehensive insurance coverage up to 10 days
- Out-of-province-of-residence medical/hospital insurance, Departure flight delay insurance, Baggage insurance in case of delay, Baggages insurance in case of theft or loss, Vehicule rental insurance
- Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance
- Flight and baggage delay insurance
- Car rental insurance
- Purchase insurance against theft or damage
- Extended warranty
- Mobile devices insurance against theft or damages for a period of up to 2 years
Terms of promotion
From September 18, 2023 to November 19, 2023.
- 10,000 points if $2,500 net purchase amount within 3 months of opening your account
- 10,000 points if $6,500 net purchase amount within 12 months of opening your account
- 5,000 points following sign up for credit card payment insurance* for a minimum of 3 months of opening your account.
Grace period : No interest will be charged on purchases made during the month, provided the client pays the balance in full within twenty-one (21) days of the statement date. This grace period does not apply to cash advances or balance transfers.
Minimum payment : If your account balance is lower than $10 , you must pay the entire balance.
If you reside in the province of Quebec, your minimum payment will correspond to 5% of the credit card account balance plus any overdue payment or $10 , whichever amount is higher.
If you reside outside of Quebec, your minimum payment represents 2.5% of the credit card account balance plus any overdue payment or $10 , whichever amount is higher.
Account statement : A statement is sent monthly.
Example of credit charges over a 30-day period
*Variable interest rate in effect on September 1 st , 2021
Balance transfer and cash advance are subject to credit approval by National Bank. Each balance transfer must be at least $250.
- Primary card $70
- Additional card $35
- Individual $0
- Household $0
- Purchase Rates 20.99 %
- Cash Advance Rates 22.49 %
- Balance Transfer Rates 22.49 %
- The Best NBC Credit Cards - National Bank of Canada
- Best Travel Credit Cards
- Canada's Best Credit Card Offers- November 2023
- Groceries 2 Points
- Dining and Food delivery 2 Points
- Gas 1.5 Points
- Year 1 $574
- Year 2+ $209
- NBC Rewards
- Annual Credit
- VIP Lounges
- Travel credit
- Digital Exclusive Offer†
- 3% cash back on gas, EV charging, and grocery purchases†
- Purchase Security and Extended Protection Insurance†
Welcome Offer : Get a first-year annual fee rebate and earn 10% cash back welcome bonus of up to $200 (first 4 statements)! †
After that, get 3% cash back on eligible gas, EV charging, and grocery purchases. †
- 2% cash back on eligible transportation, dining purchases and recurring payments †
- 1% cash back on all other purchases †
- Get cash back on demand – redeem your cash back at any time when you have a minimum of $25 through CIBC Online and Mobile Banking® †
Save on gas with CIBC and Journie Rewards
Link and use your CIBC Dividend Platinum® Visa* Card with Journie Rewards to automatically save up to 10 cents per litre† at participating Pioneer, Fas Gas, Ultramar and Chevron gas stations. †
This is a digital-exclusive offer. † To be eligible for this offer: 1) this offer must have been directly communicated to you from CIBC or from a partner/affiliate; and 2) you must apply for the eligible card through the link provided in the CIBC or partner/affiliate communication to you. †
This offer is reserved for you. Please do not forward it to anyone else. CIBC may approve your application, but you are not eligible to receive this Offer if you have opened, transferred or cancelled another eligible card within the last 12 months. †
† Terms and Conditions apply
- Primary card $99
- Additional card $30
- Individual $15,000
- Household $15,000
- Cash Advance Rates 22.99 % 21.99 % (QC)
- Balance Transfer Rates 22.99 % 21.99 % (QC)
- Best CIBC Credit Cards
- The Best Cash Back Credit Cards in Canada
- Groceries 3 %
- Dining and Food delivery 2 %
- Year 1 $762
- Year 2+ $364
- Transfer your points to airline partners
- Visa Infinite Benefits
- Get 35,000 Welcome Points on approval and 20,000 bonus points when you spend $5,000 in your first 6 months*. Apply by November 27, 2023.
- Earn 1 RBC Rewards® point for every dollar you spend* and an extra 25% on eligible travel purchases.
- Avioners can book flights with points on any airline, on any flight, at any time, early or last minute, with no blackout periods or restrictions. If there is a seat left on the chosen flight, you can fly, even in high season.
- Redeem your points for travel and more. Use points for anything from paying bills and paying your card balance to redeeming for Gift Cards and Merchandise at top brands like Apple. The RBC Rewards program gives you the freedom of choice to use your points your way, and helps you make the most as an Avioner.
- Eligible RBC Rewards members can also convert points to other loyalty programs including WestJet dollars, British Airways Avios points and Hudson’s Bay Rewards points.
- Link your RBC card with a Petro-Points membership to instantly save 3₵ per litre on fuel at Petro-Canada stations and earn 20% more Petro-Points and 20% more RBC rewards points
- Link your RBC card with a Rexall Be Well account and get 50 Be Well points for every $1 spent on eligible products at Rexall. Redeem Be Well points faster for savings in store on eligible purchases where 25,000 Be Well points = $10
- Get access to RBC offers which provides access to earn points faster at specified brands
- Extensive insurance including: mobile device insurance, travel insurance (trip cancellation, interruption and emergency medical) and other eligible purchases to protect you and your family
- Avioners get access to luxury Visa Infinite benefits including first in line for exclusive events, and hotel and dining benefits.
Get $0 delivery fees for 12 months from DoorDash – Add your eligible RBC credit card to your DoorDash account to:
- Get a 12-month complimentary DashPass subscription± – a value of almost $120
- Enjoy unlimited deliveries with $0 delivery fees on orders of $12 or more when you pay with your eligible RBC credit card
Refer to RBC page for up to date offer terms and conditions
- Primary card $120
- Additional card $50
- Individual $60,000
- Household $100,000
- Balance Transfer Rates 22.99 %
- RBC Avion: Earn Up To 55,000 Bonus Points With The RBC Avion Visa Infinite Card!
- Best RBC Credit Cards - Royal Bank of Canada
- How to use your RBC Avion points for travel rewards
- RBC Avion: One-Way Flight Redemption Now Accepted
- Travel 1.25 Points
- All Spending 1 Point
- Groceries 1 Point
- Year 1 $1,151
- Year 2+ $271
- Asia Miles British Airways Executive Club RBC Avion Rewards - Premium RBC Avion Rewards - Elite WestJet Rewards
- Book Travel
- Credit Cards
Desjardins Odyssey Gold Visa
Earning rate:, perks & benefits:.
The Desjardins Odyssey Gold Visa is a fine card, but offers uninspiring rewards rates given the annual fee.
Instead, it would appeal to anyone who wants premium insurance coverage on a lower budget. It offers a strong package with features usually only seen on cards with higher annual fees and higher income requirements.
Bonuses & Fees
This card has no welcome bonus, and no first year fee reduction.
Instead, the annual fee is $110 . Additional cards cost $30 per year, a fee which is waived if you’re a Desjardins banking member.
This card offers 2% back on restaurants, entertainment, transit, and recurring payments.
On all other purchases, you’ll earn 1% back .
Rewards are denominated in Desjardins BonusDollars , which are worth a fixed value of $1.
BonusDollars can be redeemed 1:1 for all sorts of things, including statement credit, travel bookings, gift cards, or into your Desjardins investment accounts.
Because the points have a fixed value and are so easy to redeem, I’d treat this card like a cash back card.
Perks & Benefits
The card offers half price admission to the Desjardins Odyssey Lounge at Montreal-Trudeau Airport , located in the international departures terminal.
Also, the Desjardins Odyssey cards offer car rental benefits , including no young driver surcharge, no fee for additional drivers, Hertz Five Star status, and discounts on luxury car rentals. Visa Infinite cardholders can get a discount of up to 25% at Hertz or 10% at Dollar and Thrifty on regular car rentals.
The card offers top-tier emergency medical insurance when travelling out of your home province. Cardholders are covered for up to $5,000,000 in damages, for trips up to 60 days, up to age 75.
- Age 59 and under: trips up to 60 days
- Age 60 to 64: trips up to 31 days
- Age 65 to 75: trips up to 15 days
The card can be used for insurance on award tickets . Coverage is valid for trip cancellation or trip interruption, as long as the fees were paid using the credit card. Lost or stolen baggage is covered under the emergency medical policy, which doesn’t require the trip to be paid on the card at all.
This card also extends travel insurance to the cardholder’s grandchildren , if they are travelling together.
The card’s car rental insurance grants coverage for cars valued at up to $85,000, higher than the industry standard for this type of insurance. Paired with discounts on luxury car rentals, this could make for some memorable road trips!
Finally, the card has mobile device protection . If you buy your phone or tablet with this card, you’ll be covered for up to $1,000 for two years, in the event of loss, theft, or accidental damage.
This card has no minimum income requirement, and should be easier to get approved for if you don't qualify for premium cards. Follow the below link to the Desjardins website to learn more about this card and submit an application.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
For more information on your contract or claim an insurance, contact us by:
- Email [email protected]
- Phone 1-855-368-6924 Customer Service. Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Eastern Time) Saturday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- Mail Desjardins Financial Security 200, rue des Commandeurs Lévis (Québec) G6V 6R2
For assistance while on your trip:
- Canada and the U.S. 1-800-465-6390 Assistance Service.
- Elsewhere in the world (excluding the Americas) Dial the overseas area code of the country followed by 800 29 48 53 99 (available in certain countries)
- Collect 514-875-9170 Assistance Service.
Dissatisfactions and complaints
Not satisfied with a product or service? Please let us know:
Step 1: Ask for an explanation
Call Desjardins Insurance's 1 customer service team at 1-866-838-7584 Desjardins Insurance Customer service.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Have all of the supporting documents you might need on hand (policies, letters, etc.)
- Write down the names of the employees you speak with, along with the dates; this information will be helpful later on if you decide to file a complaint
- Include your name, address and phone number on all written communications
- If you're acting on behalf of someone else, you have to fill out the Authorization for the Collection and Release of Personal Information to Third Parties form (PDF, 140 Kb) .
In our experience, most issues are resolved at this stage.
Step 2: File a formal complaint with the Dispute Resolution Officer
If you don't agree with the results of the review, you can file a formal complaint with Desjardins Insurance's Dispute Resolution Officer. Simply use the form below:
Complaint form (PDF, 313 Kb)
Dispute Resolution Officer Desjardins Financial Security 200 des Commandeurs Lévis QC G6V 6R2
Toll-free phone number: 1-877-838-8185 Dispute Resolution Officer.
Toll-free fax number: 1-877-833-5985 Dispute Resolution Officer.
Email: [email protected]
1 Desjardins Insurance refers to Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company
About Desjardins Insurance 1
Desjardins Insurance, Desjardins Group’s life and health insurance subsidiary, has over 5 million clients. The number of people across the country who turn to us for our life insurance, health insurance and retirement savings solutions is growing by the day. And we are always true to our cooperative values, which means that we put people first. We are there for you—just pick up the phone:
- 1-866-647-5013 Desjardins Insurance. (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Eastern Time)
Desjardins Financial Security's AMF number is 501707. Desjardins Financial Security is registered under the name of Desjardins Financial Security, Life Assurance Company.
1 Desjardins Insurance refers to Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company.
How we collect, use and disclose information
We only collect personal information relating to you if you supply it to us voluntarily.
We are committed to protecting your personal information using appropriate security measures. To find out more about what we do to ensure your security, visit the Dialog box: Security section.
We may collect information for statistical purposes, such as to determine a page's popularity, the average number of pages accessed per visitor and the average time each visitor spends on the site. None of this information is linked to you as an individual visitor. We use this information only for verification purposes and to make improvements to our site.
Surveys and Contests
By completing a survey or entering a contest, you are choosing to share your opinion, response or other information. We may use this information in our survey results and post it on our website. In the case of contests, your entry will be used for the purposes of the draw only.
Management and protection of personal information policy
Since Desjardins Insurance was founded in 1948, significant and effective control measures have been put in place to protect the confidentiality of the personal information in our possession.
In order to offer quality financial services, we require access to medical, financial and family information. We manage this information with the utmost discretion and in compliance with Canadian statutory and regulatory requirements.
Desjardins Insurance is committed to managing and protecting your personal information:
Collecting personal information and creating a file for insurance purposes only
What is personal information.
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual or any facts which, on their own or combined with other data, can identify an individual.
The personal information we have about you is kept in a file so we can offer you our insurance, annuity, credit and related financial services.
We collect only the personal information necessary for you to purchase insurance, in compliance with the law.
We always ask for your consent before we collect or disclose your medical information.
Retention, use and disclosure of personal information
We apply the necessary security measures to protect the confidentiality of the personal information in our possession. This means that only authorized individuals can access the personal information in the files and only when necessary in the course of their duties.
For more information, visit desjardinslifeinsurance.com
Unless you consent, or it is required by law, personal information in the files is never used for any purpose other than that for which it was intended.
Our client lists are only used or disclosed as permitted by law. We can use these lists to inform our clients of promotions or to offer a new product. If you would like your name to be removed from the list, contact our Privacy Officer at any time.
We won't disclose the personal information about you contained in the file to any third party, unless we receive written consent from you, or we are authorized by law to do so (for example, in the case of an inquiry by the officers of the court).
When personal information is sent outside of Desjardins Insurance, it is also done in a way that ensures that it remains confidential, even if you are the one who will receive the information.
The Privacy Officer:
- Responds to requests for access and correction
- Handles requests to remove names from contact lists
- Responds to complaints concerning the management and protection of personal information
- Manages inquiries regarding the disclosure of personal information to service providers located outside Canada
The Privacy Officer is also available to provide you with information or to answer questions about the management and protection of personal information.
Contact the Desjardins Group Privacy Office:
Desjardins Group Privacy Office 100 Rue des Commandeurs LEV-100-RC-Y Lévis, Québec G6V 7N5 [email protected]
Please include your name and contact information, the nature of your application, any relevant information, the Desjardins Group entity who you do business with and the name of the people you have already spoken with about this issue.
Changes to the policy
We reserve the right to modify this policy at any time.
At Desjardins Insurance, we know the value you place on the security and confidentiality of your personal information.
That's why we've established privacy policies, guidelines and rules to ensure personal information is protected.
We cannot guarantee the confidentiality of information exchanged by email.
For security, verification or statistical purposes, Desjardins Insurance collects access data for this website and may consult communications sent to and from the site.
Desjardins Insurance is keenly aware of the need to protect your security and privacy, particularly in regard to any information you may provide to us.
Desjardins uses technology to provide a better website experience
What is a cookie?
Cookies are used throughout our websites.
A cookie is a small data file created by your browser when you visit a website or web page. It is stored on your computer. Cookies allow websites to remember information about you to facilitate your authentication and improve your experience. Cookies can only be read by the website that sends them to your computer.
We use 2 types of cookies on our websites:
- Session cookies : This type of cookie is temporarily stored in your computer’s memory and is deleted when your session ends. Session cookies are used to identify you when you log on to transaction-based sites.
- Persistent cookies : This type of cookie is saved on your computer and recalled every time you visit. Persistent cookies are text files, which means they can’t be used for harmful purposes like infecting a computer with a virus or any other malicious data.
- To provide a secure browsing experience and verify your information. Using cookies means we don’t need to save information about you every time you go to a new page. We can also store information about your session to identify you when you are on our site.
- To remember your settings and preferences. Cookies allow us to remember your preferences, such as your province and preferred language.
- To analyze our performance. Cookies help us learn what our users like most and what we may need to change.
- To provide advertising that’s relevant to you. We use the data collected to show you online offers and Desjardins advertising based on your interests on our websites and other websites. We also use it for retargeting and remarketing purposes and to limit the number of ads you see. For more information, see the section on interest-based advertising below.
Do other websites see my cookies when I’m on a Desjardins website?
We sometimes use third-party service providers.
When you go to one of our websites, either directly or by clicking an ad, a cookie is automatically created on your computer. When this happens, web analytics tools (like Google Analytics, Omniture or DoubleClick) and potentially other external advertising servers have access to the cookie, which allows us to provide a better user experience. In some cases, it also lets us track your activity to promote our products. While a unique code in the cookie file allows us to identify you as a user, the cookie doesn’t contain your name or address.
Our service providers may also need to collect your IP address or mobile device identifier when you visit a site. This information may be sent to or stored on servers in Canada or elsewhere, such as the United States. Desjardins does not combine information collected by third parties with any information we have about you, but some providers may have to disclose the data they collect to a third party for legal reasons or for data processing purposes. We do not share information that would allow service providers to identify you.
Third-party service providers have their own cookies and privacy policies.
Can I block cookies while on Desjardins websites?
You can disable the personalization features on our sites by blocking cookies in your browser. See the procedure .
Blocking cookies may prevent pages on our site from displaying correctly and some features may not be available.
You must allow cookies to use this site. If your browser is set up to block cookies, click the link above and follow the instructions to change the settings in your browser.
Desjardins provides a personalized, interest-based online experience
What is a web beacon?
A web beacon is a tiny image placed on a website or in an email. It can be used to anonymously track the number of times a user visits a page. Web beacons are invisible and can be found on anywhere on our website or in our ads. Unlike cookies, web beacons are not stored on your computer.
Why does Desjardins use web beacons on its websites?
Desjardins also works with third-party advertising companies, such as DoubleClick and Facebook. These companies may collect and use information about your visits to our websites to deliver interest-based advertising. Desjardins does not share any identifying information with advertising companies.
Can I opt out of interest-based advertising?
You can choose not to share information with Google Analytics or DoubleClick by changing the settings in your browser or on your device. You can do the same with your ad settings. You can prevent your information from being shared with Google Analytics by installing a browser add-on . You can also opt out of personalized ads by following these instructions .
Desjardins uses Facebook’s Custom Audience feature to create interest-based advertising for our members and clients. If you’d like to opt out of these ads on Facebook, follow these steps .
Even if you opt out of interest-based advertising, you may still see Desjardins ads. The ads you see will not be customized to your needs and may appear more frequently.
Desjardins Insurance 1 believes in protecting the information you exchange with us over the Internet.
Please take a few moments to read about the steps we have taken to make sure the information we exchange via the Internet is secure and learn what you can do to protect yourself on the Internet.
Our rigorous security procedures ensure that your computer is protected when you visit our website:
Secure section indicator
What is a "secure section?"
The secure sections of our website are protected by the SSL protocol . When you send us confidential information over the Internet, such as your name, address or credit card number, this protocol is used to make sure the information stays confidential and isn’t altered in any way. Since the information is encrypted, no one can read it as it travels between your browser and our website. We also use firewalls so that information sent over the Internet has to pass through a number of safety checkpoints between your computer and our systems. This prevents unauthorized access.
To benefit from the security offered by the SSL protocol, use a 128-bit encryption browser, such as the versions listed in the Browser versions section below.
When you visit the Travel Insurance website, use one of the following browsers for best results:
- Internet Explorer: version 11 and Edge (Windows)
- Mozilla Firefox: latest version (Windows)
- Google Chrome: latest version (Windows)
- Safari: version 9.1.1 (Mac)
- iPad: version iOS10
- Samsung or Nexus tablets: version 6.0.1 (Chrome)
- iPhone: version iOS10
If you're using one of the following Web browsers, do not hesitate to advise us of any errors you encounter:
- Internet Explorer: version 9.0 (Windows)
- iPad: version iOS9
- iPhone: version iOS9
- Samsung tablet: version 4.0.4 (Android Browser)
All of the browsers listed above use standard security protocols, which the browser activates automatically when you access your personal file.
This site has been adapted and allows people who use JAWS and NVDA screen reader to navigate using these tools.
You can check the security certificate of our secure pages at any time to confirm that you’re really dealing with Desjardins Financial Security, and not a malicious third party.
Cookies are used on our site. They identify your browser software when you move from site to site or page to page during a Web session. This information can then be used to identify you and facilitate your access to a site and your ability to navigate within our site. Cookies can only be read by the website that sends them to your computer.
When you access our site directly or through a publicity redirecting to our site, a cookie file is automatically created in your computer. Our server and possibly third party ad servers can access this file in order to improve your experience on our site and in some instances promote our products. While they enable the site to identify you as a specific user, they don’t recognize you by your name or other personal information. No personal information is collected through cookies.
We may collect information for statistical purposes, for instance, to determine a page's popularity, the average number of pages accessed per visitor, and the average time each visitor spends on the site. Cookies may also allow us to display Desjardins publicity if you access an external site which displays those publicities.
We use two types of cookies:
- Session cookies: these are not stored on your hard drive and are deleted when you log off our site.
- Persistent cookies: these are stored on your hard drive and recalled at your next visit. They are stored as text files in order to preclude any viruses or programs from accessing your data.
1 Desjardins Insurance refers to Desjardins Financial Security Life Insurance Company.
By accessing and using Desjardins Insurance's website, you agree to be bound by the terms set out in this Legal Notice. If you do not agree, you should not use this site.
Desjardins Insurance refers to Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company.
- The Legal notice may be updated at any time without notice.
- For information about site security, please visit the Security section.
Copyright and trademarks
Desjardins Insurance refers to Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company. All trademarks and logos on this website are copyrighted and are owned by Desjardins Insurance. Any use or reproduction without prior consent from Desjardins Insurance is strictly forbidden and may be a violation of copyright or trademark laws.
The information that appears on this website is for information purposes only and is subject to change and update at any time without notice.
Limitation of liability
Desjardins Insurance will not be liable for any harm, loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this website or the information contained therein, the inability to use it or its malfunctioning.
No warranty or representation
Desjardins Insurance makes no warranty or representation that the website will be available or that it will meet your requirements. Access may be interrupted, and delays, failures of performance, errors, omissions, losses of transmitted data, computer viruses or other issues may occur and cause damages for which Desjardins Insurance is not liable.
Limitation of liability for links to other websites and downloadable software
Links to other websites or mobile apps are provided only for your convenience. Desjardins Insurance is not at any time liable for their content or for any difficulties you may have accessing them.
This website is governed by the laws of the province of Quebec. All disputes, controversies or claims arising from its use must be submitted to the jurisdiction of the courts of the province of Quebec.
Any unprotected email sent over the internet may be intercepted, lost or modified. Desjardins Insurance is not liable for any damage resulting from the interception, loss or modification of any email that you send to Desjardins Insurance, or for any message of this nature that Desjardins Insurance sends to you.
A log is kept to track security or other events for verification and statistical purposes. This log may contain information about visits to the site or to sections of the site, messages sent or received by a user (in the case of email sent through the website) and other site activity.
Desjardins Insurance may access sent and received messages if it has reasonable grounds to think that the law has been violated or the site’s rules of use have been broken.
This notice will occasionally be updated and modified without prior notice. You should therefore check back here whenever you visit the site.
Desjardins Insurance reserves the right to close the secure sections or to limit access without prior notice.
The site is also available in accessible version. To access it, click on the following link:
Toggle to accessible version
To learn more about Desjardins Insurance's commitment to accessibility, click on the following link:
Go to Desjardins Insurance
Before you start
- A Canadian resident;
- Under the age of 75;
- Covered under the government health and hospitalization plans of your province of residence for the entire duration of your trip.
You must also:
- Have an email address;
- Be going on the trip and be the contract holder and the person paying the premium;
- Pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express);
- Take out coverage for the entire duration of your trip before the departure date;
- Leave from and return to your province of residence;
- Validate if you already have any Multi-Trip Annual Insurance in force.
Language of documents for Quebec residents:
- We will send your initial documents in both English and French to comply with the Charter of the French Language ;
- Subsequent documents will be sent in English only.
In all Dialog box: other cases , please call us at 1-888-285-3097 to buy your travel insurance. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8 :00 a.m. to 8 :00 p.m., ET.
Sometimes it's better to buy travel insurance by phone…you should speak to one of our advisors if:.
- You're over age 75 .
- You've experienced any health problems over the past few months.
- If you wish to purchase a premium for someone other than yourself. When you purchase your premium online, the contract holder must be one of the insured travellers.
- If you wish to pay with your bank account. When you purchase your premium online, the only payment methods available are by credit card (VISA, MasterCard or American Express).
- You need specific coverages based on your situation.
If any of the particular cases applies to you, contact us at 1-888-285-3097. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8 :00 a.m. to 8 :00 p.m., ET.
Session timeout warning
Your session will expire automatically in 60 seconds. Select « Keep the session alive » to extend your session.
Sorry, your session is already expired. Please, open a new session.
* = Mandatory field
Coverage and discounts
Learn more about the External website - By clicking on the link you will open a new window coverage and discounts offered by Desjardins Travel Insurance.
Find the right By clicking on the link you will open a new window claim form online.
Everywhere in Canada (visitors, immigrants, super visa applicants) !
- : show details. Contact Us
- : show details. About Us
- : show details. Privacy
- : show details. Personalize cookies
- : show details. Security
- : show details. Legal Notice
- : show details. Accessibility